Friday, August 12, 2016

Day 43 -- Coniston to Ulverston


Britain is famous for its microclimates. A 35-minute bus ride brought me from the drizzling fog of Coniston and into the sunshine of Ulverston, a distance of only about 15 miles. I checked into my B&B and retrieved the package I had mailed to myself at the B&B 10 days ago – 8½ pounds that I didn’t carry on my back for the past 10 days.

Ulverston is a market town whose apparent main claim to fame is as the birthplace of Stan Laurel. There is a Laurel and Hardy Museum that runs their films continuously. A local flower shop is named Floral and Hardy.
 
Laurel and Hardy statue in front of Town Hall


Florist Shop

For me, arrival at Ulverston marks the end of the fourth leg of this summer’s walk. Tomorrow I head to Isle of Man, a self-governing British Crown dependency in the Irish Sea. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it may have something to do with having its own microclimate.
 

1 comment:

  1. When you visit Mann hopefully you get to go on Snaefell, pics should be awesome!
    Have fun and enjoy the ride there.

    ReplyDelete