Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Day 33 -- The Cumbria Way

After 3 rest days relaxing and touring with Dr. George and Lady Ann, I’m now ready to resume walking. The next leg of my journey is the Cumbria Way.

The Cumbria Way is a route of about 67 miles through the heart of the Lake District National Park, connecting Carlisle and Ulverston. You may recall that we first met the Lake District between Kendal and Windermere on July 6, and left the Lake District at Keld on July 14. We'll spend the next 9 day t here.
 
Most walkers walk the Cumbria Way from south to north, and that’s the way the baggage transfer services like Sherpa Van transport bags. For reasons that will become apparent in about 2 weeks, I’ll be walking north to south, without any baggage transport service.

For that reason, I boxed up about 9 pounds of items I won’t be needing before I reach Ulverston, and mailed it to myself in care of the B&B where I’ll stay on August 12. That’ll bring my backpack down to a reasonable weight, and make walking the next 10 days more enjoyable. Today I took the train from Newcastle to Carlisle, and will begin walking again tomorrow.

Although most people walk the Cumbria Way in about six days, I’ve added three extra days to allow me time to explore the hills and better experience the area. Now, if only the weather will cooperate…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment